Monday, April 15, 2013

Oh! The Places I Went, Things I Saw, People I Met... Cape Town!



Muizenberg Beach
I spent the last few days considering how much I have been able to do and experience this semester. I have done so many things since I've been here! Sometimes my weekend activities are more than one person might get to do in a lifetime. I am so lucky to have had this incredible chance to do everything I could have hoped. As time is winding down there are only a few more things left on my list. That's crazy! Table Mountain is definitely one of them.  When I started to show my students my pictures during an impromptu Life Orientation lesson I decided to make a list of everything I could remember that I did then pick out the important, memorable, influential things and compile them. We had a great time talking about  each place they recognized and learning about the others. Those are the lessons I like the most. Just for fun! It's been so exciting to recall all these exceptional experiences and memories and it's definitely given me some perspective. I have really loved reflecting on my time abroad and recalling the intense learning moments but also the tons of fun I had along the way. It's not just about living; this experience is also about learning and reflecting too. Sometimes time gets away from us and we can't slow down and recognize everything. We're always moving on to the next exciting thing. Each opportunity here has been unbelievable and I am so fortunate and appreciative. Yesterday I was walking along the beach and I knew it would be my last time at Muizenberg. We've past the "firsts" and moved on to the "lasts" and in some ways that is scary but it's also really encouraging. Although it's  only been three months this somehow feels like a lifetime of learning and opportunities!

Here is a list of some of my favorite places to eat, music I've seen, tourist attractions and more! If you ever come to South Africa hopefully this will serve as a guide for where to start your travels. Otherwise I hope it will show all the amazing, fun things I've been up to this semester! What a ride it's been! I am shocked that it's almost over but there is still some time left and I need to take in every last moment. :)

Waterfront

Places to Eat:
  1. Rock Sushi - Newlands
  2. Chan's - Mowbray
  3. Mzolis- Guguletu
  4. Fat Cactus- Mowbray
  5. Eastern Food Bazaar- Cape Town
  6. Coaca Wha Wha - Rondebosch
  7. Charlie's Bakery  -Cape Town
  8. Addis- Ethiopian Restaurant- Cape Town

Music and Theatre:

  1. Freshly Ground- Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concert Series
  2. Jimmy Dludlu- Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concert Series
  3. Jeremy Loops - Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concert Series
  4. Goldfish - Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concert Series
  5. HoliOne Color Festival
  6. Mahogany Room- Jazz Club/Restaurant
  1. Swingers- Jazz Club/Restaurant
  1. Poppys- Jazz Club/Restaurant
  2. Blue Chip- Jazz Club/Restaurant
  3. Beer Garden- Cape Town
  4. Swedish House Mafia- Cape Town Ostrich Farm
  5. Holi Festival- Grand Parade, Cape Town
  6. Kat and the Kings
  7. Curl Up and Dye
Tourist Attractions:

  1. Boulder's Beach
  2. Kirstenbosch Gardens
  3. Cape Point
  4. Signal Hill
  5. Kalk Bay
  6. Robben Island- Waterfront
  1. Greenpoint Stadium- Bafana Bafana Soccer Match
  1. Kalk Bay
  1. Cango Caves
  1. Bloukrans Bridge- Bungy Jump
  2. Knysna Elephant Sanctuary
  1. Fugard Theatre- Cape Town
  1. Long Street (day and night)- Cape Town
  2. Company Gardens- Cape Town
  3. Waterfront
  1. Nelson Mandela Square- Santon
  1. Wine Tasting-  Altydgedacht Vineyard
Slave Lodge- Cape Town
History:

  1. District 6 Museum- Cape Town
  2. Slave Lodge- Cape Town
  3. Apartheid Museum- Johannesburg
  4. Holocaust Centre- Cape Town
  5. South African Jewish Museum- Cape Town
  6. Sharpeville Memorial - Johannesburg
  7. Soweto- Johannesburg
  8. Hector Pieterson Museum- Johannesburg
  9. Constitution Hill and Constitutional Court- Johannesburg
  10. Freedom Square- Johannesburg
  11. Class @ UCT- Cape Town
Activism and Getting Involved:
  1. Rally against violence against women- Cape Town
    International Women's Day
  1. International Women's Day rally- Cape Town
  1. Rally for Safe Communities - UCT- Cape Town
  2. UCT Gymnastics- Cape Town
  3. Netzer, Temple Israel- Cape Town
  4. City Mission Educational Services- Bridgetown
  5. Homestead - khayelitsha
  6. Silvertown Baptist Church Sunday Mass
  7. Free Yoga on the Promenade- Seapoint
  8. Oceanview Homestay
  9. Human Rights Weekend
  10. Sivuyile Baptist Church—Guguletu
  11. Boys and Girls Club of South Africa- Soweto
  12. It Gets Better South Africa- Click HERE to watch our video!
Shopping:
  1. Old Biscuit Mill- Woodstock
  2. China town
  3. Old Biscuit Mill
  4. Mr. Price- Cape Town
  1. St. George's Mall- Cape Town
  1. Green Market Square- Cape Town
  2. Rondebosch Craft Fair
  3. Muizenberg Flea Market
  4. Clairmont- Cavendish Square
  5. Hout Bay Market
Transportation:
  1. Taxi
  2. Cab
  3. Train
Nature:
  1. Lion's Head
  1. Kruger National Park
  1. Muizenberg Beach
  2. Sunset on a safari
  3. Sunrise  on a safari 

No comments:

Post a Comment