Monday, April 8, 2013

A Blog about Blogging

During this whole semester we've been required to blog once a week as part of a larger class project. (UConn in Cape Town Blog) This seemingly easy task actually proved to be a bit challenging as I was constantly stuck with choosing which awesome part of my week to write about. Either that, or I was faced with the daunting task of feeling like I needed to recollect everything which was really overwhelming. I'm known for being wordy so I was so shocked when I found myself staring at the screen struggling to find the words to talk about this amazing experience.  Although initially I did not fully appreciate this assignment I have actually grown to love the exercise of blogging during this semester. Since I did not know how to recount everything I decided to keep my own blog to supplement my work for class. Surprisingly this became a fond hobby. I've even found myself dying to get my hands on a keyboard just so I can write about my experiences. I've spent hours writing and rewriting each post until I've felt it was perfect or relayed a particular message. This has been really exciting and the response has been so encouraging.

After a while I saw my posts change from events, activities, and tourist hot spots to big ideas, meaningful experiences, and reflections. It was really interesting to watch my writing shift as my experience became more intense and intricate. My focus changed also. Instead of trying to record everything in a sort of "look what I'm doing" mentality I wanted to write so that I could share with friends and families the important messages and questions which are crowding my mind and shifting my perspective each day. I felt that it was urgent to get the word out and share my experiences.

Over the course of the semester, we've talked a lot about the power of telling stories. I've learned from my peers, community members and co-workers and their stories have shaped my experience probably more than I have established at this point. There is incredible strength in appreciating each other and working to understand their lives. It is one huge component of being respectful but it can also really change someone. I think that actually boils down to being an activist and an active listener. I've learned the most when I've just observed and listened; when I wasn't in the dominant role or even planning on learning anything. One thing I've decided though is that it would be selfish of me to keep all this new knowledge and intention bottled up inside.  I need to share these experiences so that others can feel empowered too. So that's how this blog came about. I couldn't help but spread the word! I needed to share what I've seen and heard! I am incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to travel and learn and not everyone can be afforded this luxury. Therefore I must speak out!  I  have loved reflecting on and sharing these events with everyone.

With three amazing weeks left I am hoping to write so much more! Please keep reading and enjoying and spreading these stories and your stories. I will never know which conversations will change my life so the first step is to ignite those conversations and share and listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment