Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"We Are Not Free if Everyone is Not Free"

This past week has marked the beginning of Passover. I've been so lucky to celebrate this festival of freedom in South Africa and like many of my experiences it's given me a lot to think about. I was privileged to be welcomed at two Seders and each one helped me to learn something new and have great conversations. On Monday night I went to Nancy's home for Seder. I was so happy to  be there because I've really grown to love the company and familiar feeling that I have with Nancy and Toni. We read each from a different Haggadah and shared our customs from the US and South Africa which created a lively, entertaining, memorable night for me. Something that was special is that just like in my home each participant had a different Haggadah and was encouraged to share what they appreciated or found meaningful during the evening. On Tuesday we attended the South African Union of Jewish Students Seder.  I'm really impressed by this community I have become a part of and it was so refreshing to walk into a Seder on Tuesday night expecting to know nobody but seeing familiar faces and friends around the table. I have South African Jewish friends! That's so cool! It was a really powerful moment for me and so it was nice to feel just a bit at home.  Overall both evenings were special in their own way and I was made to think and question which is always outstanding!

On Monday we created a space for sharing and learning that was comical and light-hearted. Everything had multiple meanings and I loved the "progressive" approach that we had. Each persons interpretation was valid which was really unique. We discussed the significance of women in the Passover story and also how we have  new symbols on our Seder plate to represent inclusivity and moving forward. I loved the point that Toni made which was that if anyone thought thousands of men made it through the dessert without the help of any women they would be wrong. This is mostly because men are too stubborn to ask for directions and without the women they'd most likely be lost forever! It made perfect sense in my mind which is one reason why I want to bring home the tradition of having both Elijah and Miriam's cup on our Seder table next year. I loved reading about the four children from a women's perspective and this appreciation for feminism was something I'd love to explore in a Jewish context.  I also learned about the significance of the orange on the Seder plate. I never knew that it represented the equal rights of people and specifically the rights of people in the LGBTI community. This was really refreshing to see especially in the midst of the decisions being made in the States surrounding this non-issue "issue". One fun thing we did was whip each other with scallions. This was something we did at our Passover Seder years ago but as we were recalling the pain of the slaves we also used it to symbolize our own pain during the Seder.  So, anytime someone was holding up the Seder or boring us we could whip them with scallions which became a running joke throughout the night and was really funny! 

Probably the best part of the Seder for me was when we each discussed one thing that plagues us in our own lives. I realized for me time is a plague. It is also a privilege but in many cases I'm experiencing how time is working against me. I only have a month left in Cape Town and there is so much to do. Time goes by so quickly and I feel like I am often plagued with not having enough time or not appreciating the time that I have. I am a planner so I love finding the most effective ways to do things and I feel like in some ways that's contributed to me not appreciating every moment I possibly can. Even so, just when I think I've do it all, there's one more thing on my "to-do-list" and I'm running out of time before I have to leave and move on to other things.  I think this also has to do with not being present which is something that often plagues us when there are so many things to do it's hard to be in the  moment and not thinking about what Is coming next.  This also has a significant impact on how much time we leave to reflect  and process because I am always moving so quickly. This really sparked my interest and got me reflecting about all the ways we are not free today. We say "once we were slaves in Egypt and now we are free" but there are so many things that hold us back and opportunities that some have that others don't and I'm not so sure that statement is entirely accurate.  It's a perplexing idea that we commemorate our time as slaves and celebrate our freedom yet in doing this often times we forget or negate those who are not free from religious oppression, gender based violence, and unsafe communities.

On Tuesday we went to the South African Union of Jewish Students Seder and it was really great. Since the Seder did not have a religious affiliation it was more about the community and we were encouraged to discuss in small groups which I liked the best. Everyone had readings that they could share whenever they felt like it and that made it really special because even people who didn't feel confident to speak out in the group could read something and leave a lasting impact. My favorite reading said "we are not free if everyone is not free" and I that is so relevant to what I've been learning and exploring over the past few months. There are some things that will stick with you always. 

One thing we debated about was where do we draw the line between remembering and moving forward. I wondered if we spent too much time feeling sorry for our past would we not progress forward or if in fact that time spent remembering would bolster a stronger front when we did progress. With everything bubbling in my mind I also thought it might be selfish to think too much about the suffering of the Jewish people when other people suffer too but I realized that there is an element of pride in recalling one's history.  I'm still struggling to find the line between these ideas but I think that not having an answer is actually powerful. It allows me to keep thinking. I am so thankful for the opportunities that I have had which have helped me reflect and reconsider this important holiday. In the past I would dread the Seder and year after year the story felt endless, the same. This year is different as my story is changing and growing, I'm gaining a new appreciation for my heritage. When before I felt defeated and stuck in a routine I now feel empowered and proud. There is such power in sharing stories and learning from one another. Every second there is another chance for my perspective to be altered and at a time when the Jewish people are celebrating their freedom I'm reminded to not be a slave to my own ideas and customs; being open minded is so important it allows us to continue to be free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment