Friday, March 8, 2013

Sharing a Message of Love and Beauty


Why Do I Love South Africa?

I love her for the perfection of her days
The crisp Karoo morning
The Joburg winter noon
The late summer Cape Town sunset
The star-filled Free State night

I love her for her people
For our warm smiles
For our resilience
For our I-am-because-we-are

I love her because she delights my senses
Highveld thunderbolts,
Jacarandas in bloom
Sunday braais,
African sun,
icy sea
I love her raw power, her intensity, her strength, I love her because of how she makes me feel

Sometimes angry, sometimes joyous
Sometimes fearful, sometimes love-filled
Sometimes frustrated, sometimes hopeful
Always alive

I love her because she intrigues me;
And challenges me
The Chinese have a curse: "May you live in interesting times"
I see it as a blessing

I love her because she helps me keep things in perspective
By reminding me how privileged I am
Every day

I love her for being a microcosm of the world
A world in one country
For what we can teach the world
About compromise
And sharing
And forgiveness
And tolerance
And hope

I love her because she's imperfect
And full of opportunity
And potential unfulfilled
I love her because she has come so far
And has so much further to go
And whether we ever get there
Will all depend on us

I love her because she's been so good to me
And she inspires me to return the favour
I love her because she's my country
No matter what
I love her because she's my home
And where my soul is at rest

~Ian McDonald

Today has been a beautiful day for so many reasons. I just received an email with this poem and I thought it was so exceptional and says everything I have been trying to say for the past few months so I wanted to share it! 


Happy International Women's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment