Monday, March 11, 2013

A Proud Teacher! CMES Grade 9 Goes to the Holocaust Centre!

Grade 9 learners in the Holocaust Centre exhibit

Last week on Thursday I had the pleasure of taking my learners on a trip to the Holocaust Centre in town. I was really excited but also pretty nervous. This was basically a test. Had I taught them well? Could they behave on a trip? How would their behavior reflect on City Mission? I was really proud of have organized this at no cost to the school and I was in charge so it was nice to feel trusted and have a big responsibility. I know these learners have never had an excursion such as this so I was happy to have a chance to make a real impact in their lives, to do something they would hopefully remember forever!



Learning about the similarities between the Holocaust and Apartheid
The learners were all really excited and I could tell they did not want to mess this up. On the day of the trip they were the perfect students. Listening eagerly for instructions and complying with all the school standards they were showing us all they were ready for this chance! They handed in their "ticket" which was a timeline activity they needed to complete before being allowed to come and with enthusiasm they showed me their work asking if it was "good enough" to go. They really believed that completing the assignment was the key to going; what they didn't know was that I wasn't going to let anyone miss out on this opportunity!

Learning about propaganda 
When we got there the learners changed into different students entirely.  It was as if they never attended City Mission. They were wonderful and I could not have been happier. They participated and it was clear they had actually learned what I taught them. I was so proud of their ability to answer questions and show what they knew! Success! When something familiar came up they smiled at me and pointed to the screen. They were proud too because for once they could contribute instead of just being talked to. I wished it would be this way all the time! The learners asked questions and shared what they were thinking. When it was time for the exhibit tour they were respectful, engaged, and quiet. It was such an amazing feeling that I couldn't stop smiling.  Some even approached me and told me they were learning so much they never knew. They thanked me before the day was over, that's one way I knew they appreciated the trip.

working in groups to identify the photo
The learners displayed their enthusiasm throughout the entire day! This was especially clear when they created presentations on people who lived during the Holocaust. They acted as detectives and found out about their lives and their stories. They were excited to create posters and share the stories of the past with everyone. What made it even better is that they were confident in their work and eager to participate. I was really pleased by their cooperation and active participation in this wonderful program.

When I got home I was so happy and everyone could tell! What made it better was that I got the following email just hours after the activities had ended and the learners had gone home:

"Dear Melissa

It was a pleasure having your learners here today. You have done yourself proud! Both Carol and I were very impressed with them. You are clearly doing a very good job teaching them. Well done!

Have a good weekend."


Completed projects and a sense of pride!
The learners certainly surpassed all my expectations of them and they impressed everyone!I'm loving every minute of my time with these students and watching them learn and grow is so amazing for me!  I am becoming more and more appreciative of this sudden opportunity and responsibility. I feel a bit selfish taking so much joy from teaching the learners but at the same time I can see how much they are appreciating this experience too and I'd like to think that my feelings are mutual.  Every minute that goes by  is precious  so I can't waste time wondering I need to act, teach, and learn before it's too late.  Education needs to be cherished and valued and by taking my students on this trip and showing them the power of learning and how fun learning can be I feel like I am helping them realize something necessary in life and it feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment