Sunday, March 10, 2013

Praying With My Feet


Until I got to Cape Town, I'd never been so proud that I wanted to cry. Never in my life have I supported a cause so fervently that I was brought to tears by excitement, pride, passion and joy. March 8, 2013, was International Women's Day and I made every effort to be a participant in this celebration of awareness and active movement toward change. I am happy that I got out of bed on a rainy day off because this was truly inspiring and memorable.

As we walked into the Central Methodist Church in town the interfaith service commemorating the day had already started. It was a beautiful thing to see faith based leaders from all communities in the area coming together to speak toward a common interest. I really appreciated the endearing words of each person who spoke and with their encouragement we began to put prayer into action and make some noise for gender equality!

We gathered outside the church armed with signs and whistles and before long all anyone could hear was the siren of whistles. Proudly we marched along St. George's Mall in town cheering and shouting and gaining enormous amounts of attention. People were coming out from stores and stopping their work to see what the commotion was. We ran through the roads legitimately stopping traffic as we progressed toward the St. George's Cathedral and the glorious church bells. As we participated in this international ringing of the bell I became part of a global initiative that encourages individuals to take action on violence against women. I was overcome with hope and joy and I recalled the words of Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel when he walked beside Martin Luther king Jr. and said "When I marched in Selma, my feet were praying". To me this means do not talk about making change but actively seek out those opportunities and make change happen. Actions do speak louder than words and being an example of change, putting the passion in your feet, is so important! I felt as if there was no better way to put my prayers into action that to get out and stand up for something I believe in. Each step I took I reassured myself that I was making a difference in someone's life someway.  Knowing that simultaneously in Delhi, Rio de Janeiro and New York thousands of people were taking part in this event made me smile. I knew we were gaining positive attention and every person I saw I just showed them my sign and without saying a word I knew that the message was reaching someone.  I have been inspired by the passion and the love that people here have for such important causes. Being in South Africa, which is the country rated number one for gender based violence, this significant public display of advocacy could not have been more important or meaningful.

South Africa is teaching me that there is no better time than now to act. I'm constantly recalling the words of Hillel and realizing how relevant they are to my life and my experience here and forever.

Im ein ani li, mi li?
If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
U'kh'she'ani l'atzmi, ma ani?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
V'im lo akhshav, eimatay?
And if not now, when?



As I reflect on my time in Cape Town and my actions I know that these words will guide me well in the choices that I make. They are repeating in my head when I teach my students, meet new people and especially when I stand up for something I believe in!

"To Ring the Bell is to recognize that:
  • Violence against women is the most widespread and socially tolerated human rights violation. Laws alone are not enough. We need individual and collective action to challenge norms and change culture.
  • Violence against women, whether on the streets or behind closed doors, is learned and often socially accepted.
  • Each of us must examine and change the ways in which our own behavior might contribute to, enable, ignore or excuse this violence.
  • Men have a key role to play in ending violence against women.
  • Violence against women is everyone's problem and everyone's responsibility. "


I ring the bell because everyone is equal and there is no better time than now to act!

No comments:

Post a Comment