Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I Can't Say I Have All The Answers: Response to an Evening of Human Rights Films



Tonight we took a field trip to the Book Lounge for a special presentation on Human Rights Documentaries. This whole week is leading up to Human Rights Day, Thursday March 21, and South Africans all over the area are preparing by spreading the word! South Africa is a beautiful country but as with almost anything, there are things that aren't beautiful too. Instead of the usual feeling that I have right before class (tired from work and dreading sitting on the floor for three hours) I was really motivated and excited. This might have been because I had a great day at CMES playing sports with the learners and working with one student to send him the message "you can do it". I just knew this was going to be worthwhile. I mailed my postcards and had a trip to the famous Charlie's Bakery. I was rested and ready! Basically it was already turning out to be a great day! 

The Book Lounge is a really wonderful place! When I walked in I wished I had more time to just browse the books. I always love book stores so of course I ended up buying one and I cannot wait to read it. It's called Edge of the Table and it chronicles fourteen boys' stories about growing up in the Cape Flats. I learned only later that this book is not available yet in the US which made the purchase even better! The atmosphere was really nice and we all appreciated the light snacks available to us as we looked over the masses of outstanding books before the presentation began.  Human Rights Day is so important to South Africa and it is clear that even days ahead people are looking forward to this day. Although  for some it is just a glorified public holiday (like Memorial Day or President's Day) it is rooted in history and pride.

We were privileged to watch seven different documentaries spanning topics such as refugees and deployment, unemployed youth, education and diversity, child trafficking, and environment. This program is truly like no other program. We have amazing opportunities and professors that really care about our learning.  I believe that learning should and does take place outside of the classroom and I'm loving every chance I get to see something new.  I really felt like these films took an honest stance on the issues they were discussing and throughout the films I wanted to cry and smile. Each one showed a glimmer of hope and also helped to demonstrate that these oppressive acts that go against our innate human rights can be stopped if people are made aware. It also shed light on issues I didn't even know that existed. I learned about "Skavivi Boyz" (Scavenger Boys) who make a living by stealing metals from trucks to support themselves and their families. What touched me most was when one boy said he returned to that lifestyle to earn back the money that he lost that was for his school fees. Life should never be that way. The overall message these boys wanted to send was that they didn't want to be judged for their lifestyle, it was how they made money. I liked this because it really showed how the system fails some and makes them result to "jobs" which are embarrassing or seen as illegitimate.  To me, it seems like if there were more jobs and services available then these young boys would not have to suffer so much. This was a common theme throughout the films as we saw young, undocumented boys and girls suffering from the same injustices because they didn't have their papers straight when they crossed the border. They were unable to register for school or get social or medical treatment that they needed. Documentation seems to be a huge issue because even with refugees it's a cycle that cannot be broken. If someone doesn't have their papers they have to go to immigration to fill them out. That costs money and many people coming into the country have no money. Another huge challenge is that the paperwork is often in languages that the asylum seekers do not understand which makes it incredibly difficult, almost impossible, to fill them out properly. Therefore, in most cases, they get denied papers and therefore services. This cycle is seen almost everywhere and in my opinion is one of the root causes of many human rights issues in South Africa. I'm not claiming to have a solution and I definitely don't have all the answers but I know this is one huge problem which many people are facing.

 I loved hearing what activists from the community had to say regarding traditions that were justified as "customary". Specifically this was in regards to the Ukhutwala tradition of arranging and forcibly marrying young girls then forcing them to have sex. The traditional practice is being used more often to justify the abduction and rape of young girls and it is no longer a cultural gem it is criminal activity.  Many people in the Eastern Cape still practice this heinous act and they believe they are right to do so. Some people did speak out and others shared their stories once they found refuge in safe spaces such as community centers or accepting families. I never knew of this before but what I learned truly shocked me.  What was even more powerful though was hearing the stories of youth who had been impacted as refugees, child trafficking victims, or challenged but unequal education. I felt for these children as I know that learners I work with each day have been exposed to some of these difficulties and I wish I could provide the words or solutions to take away that trauma.  It is hard to be exposed to so many issues like these. When I'm enjoying every moment here I have to recall that some people's love for South Africa is harder to see because of the difficult lives they lead. They have to tell themselves each day that there is hope for a better tomorrow. 

Here I am believing that it couldn't get better and each wonderful day I just smile but after what I saw and learned tonight I'm going to try to be more aware.  Changing the world is a huge task and I'm feeling like I'm more ready than ever to take on bits and pieces of this challenge until the world is truly a better place for all! I don't have all the answers and all I can do is learn, share and advocate for what I know is right. I hope this new insight and inspiration will move me forward, help me to grow and challenge my thinking in the days and weeks to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment