Tuesday, February 5, 2013

On Confidence and Personal Growth


A few years ago, I would have been the person to dominate every conversation. I would interrupt you to share my ideas and every response would be a rebuttal, guaranteed. My enthusiasm would kill anyone's positivism because they wouldn't be able to show me that they cared too. I needed to learn how to appreciate the concept "step up, step back". Over the past few years I've had so many wonderful, stimulating experiences that have allowed me to look beyond the personality that I allow many people to see and examine my real self. It's a hard thing to do but with feedback and also time I've changed into a person that I really like. I will be the first to admit that I am still talkative and definitely enthusiastic but I find myself caring about what others want to say and gaining an immense appreciation for observation. Even when I do interrupt or offend, which happens of course, I recognize that I am wrong and I think that's a respectable quality. When I think about who I want to be, I feel confident that I want to be a leader but not someone who is resented. I want to be a teacher but also a learner. These balances are what make us human and our own goals, I think, are what makes us unique. I realized that I need to respect how I'm thinking and feeling and that being the optimistic, "always look at the bright side" type of girl can only get me so far. It felt like I was fake at times because when someone was upset I'd list off the good things that could come from it and that didn't feel realistic to me. I began to think that I was trying to be someone else. Not that being positive isn't a good thing but that I wasn't allowing myself to feel other emotions. I was forcing myself to accept that this was how I "should" be when really I'm a whole person that I needed to get to know. When I gave myself a chance I noticed that my mind is boggling with questions about equality, justice, rights and wrongs, people, and especially group dynamics. I was brought up to believe that no question is a bad question but in some ways this new appreciation for what I'm thinking had gotten me caught up in a web of things I never considered before  and I'm learning a lot about me.

Here's what I mean…

While I'm learning so  much about race and service and diversity in my life there are so many things to think about and I'm determined to speak my mind. What's not linking up though is that in my head what I have to say sounds good and I know there is meaning behind my words but once I say them I feel like I need to swallow them back up because my curiosity about group dynamics has led me to watch so closely a for people's reactions that if the reaction is met by resentment I freeze up. Then I almost expect to be met with dissent which makes it hard to be confident in my own words. So in saying this, I'm trying to relay that although someone might seem confident on the outside, they may not be letting on how hesitant they really are. For me this means that even when I speak my mind the instant that I'm finished talking, and it might be a while later, I find myself regretting what I've said or feeling as if I need to justify why I said what I did with more words.   It's like as soon as I speak I'm questioning myself. But why? Even in the smallest of situations I'm wondering if what I said was right, should I agree more often, speak less? And then when I'm actually speaking sometimes I'm telling myself to just stop because it's no use since I feel like what I say in the end is not important. Knowing that I have a point to make means nothing after I've made the point and when I recognize the way that people speak to each other I am realizing that what often times when people say offensive things nobody points it out. We are taught to avoid confrontation and that leads to people settling or backing down. We have created an environment that encourages people's ideas to be stifled and we lie to ourselves and say that each person should be heard when really our idea of a respectful conversation is being overshadowed by this new sensation that whoever is loudest or speaks most is the right one. Then it's a constant struggle to determine if you are speaking enough to be heard or speaking too much and being tuned out. It's a tough situation to find yourself in because often times the people around you have no idea that's what you're dealing with.
 
Though this experience and great friends, I'm finding it easier to confront what I've been telling myself was not an issue. I am reminding myself that I do not need to justify what I say or have an excuse for my actions. It's hard to tell yourself that you are doing the right thing when your own mind is meeting you with an argument. In this way I think my biggest opponent is myself. What I'm learning though is that it is important to be  proud of who you are and confident but also accommodating. I think that this means that we should appreciate where we have come from and understand that not everyone has the same life experiences that got them to this point. And I guess I'm saying "we" because even in this context it's easier. In our classes we talk a lot about consensus making and how that differs from group think. What I know is that consensus making is not supposed to be an opportunity for one person to speak and others to use their points as platforms for their argument later on. Rather, consensus making should be about hearing what people have to say and figuring out how to really work as a group to respect each other's needs but also wants. I noticed that when people are passionate they stop listening. This is not always the case but I feel that sometimes other people's turn to talk is just a time for people around to think about what they will say next instead of actually listening.  When someone speaks they should feel heard, not tolerated,  in all aspects of the definition. I am setting a goal for myself to be less worried about what others think and how they respond to what I say and be more focused on believing in the power of words, mine and others. I want to advocate for people who are less vocal but not speak for them because they have the right to say what they are thinking through their words and actions. I hope to develop the skills to feel heard and to appreciate the beauty in saying exactly what I think and letting it ring. As we all change and challenge ourselves this semester I know I'll be conscious of my role as a leader, teacher, mentor, friend, learner, and teammate during this experience. By writing this I am showing that I think what I have to say is important and I know that my words will be valued and respected and I am taking the first step to making a difference for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment