Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lean On Me- Ocean View Homestay


On Thursday we departed from UCT and headed to Ocean View near the boarder of the Western Cape.  We were all exhausted from a long week of internships and class but I was bubbling over with excitement and also anticipation. We were going to spend a weekend in Ocean View with host families and learn about one community's way of life. Ocean View is a township for classified coloured citizens who were relocated from various "white only" areas during the apartheid years. Although the apartheid years are over, this community is linked by their past experiences and because of this a wonderful community has flourished. I was curious and also a bit worried. We were assured that we would be well fed, cared for, and welcomed more than we could have ever hoped for. So as our bus circled around Table Mountain going higher and higher I just couldn't wait until we actually got there.

When we arrived we got out first taste of Ocean View living by walking through the township to the home where we would be having a community dinner. The entire time before we arrived, we had been told that community and family are huge parts of life in Cape Town and especially many of the townships. With this in mind, I found it fitting that our first experience was a wonderful community meal. This was only after we carried our bags for maybe twenty minutes. I viewed this as initiation almost. Many people in Ocean View do not have cars and often have to carry heavy bags to work or to neighbors regardless of the weather or weight. So with our backpacks we walked through the township drawing attention to ourselves as we spoke loudly and pointed out things that excited us. This feeling felt different because often times we've come into a community and seen what there is to see but this time we were staying. I was happy to finally have an opportunity to interact with people in their home environments instead of just observe. It felt like this was the way I should be learning about Cape Town life and I was ready for the full experience. I was really tired from the day but after a while my exhaustion turned into appreciation for the food and even better, the company. Our meal was amazing and I am sure that I had not been that full since before we left for Cape Town since everything was so good I just kept eating it!

Inside our host home. 
After dinner we all went out separate ways to our host homes. Savitri and I were the first two to be dropped off. We were staying with Aunti Reeni in her home. In many communities, it is customary to call people who are older than you Autni and Uncle. At first is was a little bit weird and even in some situations people encouraged us to address them by their first name only but many of us continued to call people aunti and uncle to show respect. Being a guest in someone's community can be a challenge because often times there are cultural things that you might not be aware of and it takes some time to understand how things work.  Aunti Reeni is a Muslim woman who practices the Islamic religion. When we arrived she was praying her last set of prayers for the day so we had to wait outside for just a few minutes. When we started talking to Aunti Reeni more we learned that she is very dedicated to her religion and she prays five times a day and is very committed to the rules and traditions of Islam.  We also learned that Aunti Reeni was relocated to Ocean View when she was a young girl from Simons Town during the apartheid. She told us that her home was sold to her grandfather for a small price and then they moved out of the now designated white only area to Ocean View. She has never been married and has lived on her own since she was old enough to buy her own house at age twenty-five. Hearing her speak made me a bit sad because she has had many difficulties but it was nice to be talked to in an honest manner even though we'd only know each other for a short time.

Aunti Reeni and Me
When we got to Aunti Reeni's home, I quickly realized it was a full house for such a small space. The home has a kitchen and living room in the front, a single bedroom, a bathroom, and a storage room. Aunti Reeni is not married and she mostly lives alone but she is allowing her cousin's children to live with her for now while they find work. So her small home is now home to three women and also a baby. I realized that many people in this township give whatever they can to their family and friend and often times they do not expect anything in return. The girls that stay with Aunti Reeni do not pay rent but instead when they are home they help around the house and share in that responsibility. Together they care for the two month old baby and they live peacefully together. Nobody in the house works so their life is not always easy. Although Aunti Reeni had a really good job, she gave up her work after her mother passed away in 2000. Aunti Reeni was really close with her mother because she was an only child. In apartheid yeas, Aunti Reeni's light skin gave her many privileges that her mother did not have. Even so, she was so intent on not leaving her mother's side that she would  never partake in walking on the white beaches or anything like that. After her mother's death, she explained to us that she didn't feel the same motivation as she had previously felt and spent more time alone not working therefore, she has spent the last twelve years living on a declining balance. She explained to us that before that time, she was able to purchase a house in full and also afford lavish holiday trips to resorts and tourist destinations. Now she lives a more careful lifestyle. She is not able to buy the luxuries that she once purchased and the charity that she used to give to her friends and family has not been reciprocated to her now that she needs it. Aunti Reeni explained to us that she was always an independent woman and that was something she was quite proud of she said she would never ask for a loan she couldn't repay and she also knew that because of her faith in God she would have everything she needed even if she didn't have ever luxury she was used to. Seeing her pride was really inspirational to me.

At the community concert. 
On Friday, the best day in my opinion, we went out and did service in the Ocean View community.  A smaller group of us had the privilege to work with the students in the Open Door after school program to prepare a concert for the community while others went to creche, which is like daycare, to work with the kids. We met at the coordinator's house and had just a few hours to get organized. We had to come together quickly to plan performances and perfect musical numbers. This required a lot of listening and teamwork but it was also really fun. After two hours we had a song ready to go and somehow, I had a solo that I was anxiously preparing for the opening act. We sang "Lean on Me" and "Man in the Mirror" and also helped the kids practice the acts they had been working on before we arrived. After a couple of hours we headed to the Methodist church and met all the kids. They were so enthusiastic and ready to show us what they had been practicing. The practice was fun but a little bit stressful. We had a lot to get done and not much time. The kids were excited but they were also a bit shy so it took a lot to get them to perform and also to remember what they were supposed to do. One challenge was that there was no music for the kids to practice with so the Chantel, the coordinator, was singing the songs for each group. I was impressed by the kids' determination and that not having music did not get them down at all. They were working and singing and dancing anyway. Once we did an initial run through, we split up into groups to practice the parts. I liked this part the best because I got to work with the girls to make up a dance. We needed to make up a new dance because the old dance did not include everyone and since not everyone was included the dance was cut from the program. We decided to work together and learn a new dance with everyone. With about twenty minutes to work, we started creating the animal dance for the performance. We didn't have any music so we just learned the counts and later that night I was able to play the music for them right before they went on stage to perform. The girl's animal dance was awesome and so cute. They were a hit even though they only practiced for a short while. The environment was filled with excitement but also a bit of tension. The best part of the entire afternoon was when we were not practicing at all. We all gathered around a small round table and started singing pop songs and banging out beats on the table. You could barely hear talking because it was so loud but the energy was so positive. In the background the kids were doing handstands, tricks, and dance moves mostly to show off but also to have fun! They were excited by our long hair and also our cameras so we all had fun making crazy hair styles and taking photos. I liked this best because we could all just have a good time and it was an agenda free, fun spirited time which I feel like we haven't had so much of since we've been here. Everything has been amazing but the best experiences for me have been the unplanned instances of spontaneity that just prove everything will work out somehow.

After a short break, we were ready for the concert. The kids showed up in their clean clothes and some even brought props for their numbers. They looked so cute and they were smiling. I knew that they were ready to show everyone how much their hard work had paid off. I was excited for them because I've been in their shoes. Bursting at the seems with so many emotions, wanting nothing to go wrong and feeling preemptively proud but mostly just accomplished.  There was a lot of scrambling at first but once we got everything ready to go it was so much fun! As I mentioned earlier, I got looped into a solo for the opening number "Man in the Mirror" and while I was anxiously practicing for that solo I was awarded a singing partner. Chadlley, a fourteen year old boy, was kind enough to sing the part with me only after a little practice. I can't explain what it was but even after a short interaction I appreciated that relationship most of all the people I'd met so far. While we were singing he was glowing. It was as if being a part of this made him so happy and afterward we hugged each other and for whatever reason it felt like we had been good friends for a long time. Chadlley is the kind of kid that I know is going to make it. His enthusiasm really lit up the entire room for me and no matter our age difference we were equal.  The concert continued with dance numbers from community members and the kids and everyone had a great time! While I was sitting in the audience, I felt swallowed up by this community. It could have been the worst performance ever but everyone was supporting each other, clapping along and showing just how much they cared. In some ways this overwhelming sense of community made me miss being home because I was thinking of all the times I've felt proud of someone's accomplishments and wanted to stand up and say "you mean the world to me" but at the
same time I was just so happy.


When we arrived home from the concert, Aunti Reeni had company. It was a woman and her husband and their grandchild who were her close friends from when she first moved to Ocean View. Many years ago they lived above her in their flat (apartment) in the township.  They became good friends then and their friendship is still strong today. They were also Muslim and I was happy to find that I could relate to a lot of their values regarding marriage and other things having to do with religion even though our religions are different. One thing I learned is that sometimes  religion may be a barrier, it is also something that ties us all together. Although we did not believe the exact same things we  could agree that our belief in God and our rituals were significant and important in out lives. We spoke about everything from apartheid to religion to education and also places to visit.  I really liked listening to her passion as she told us about finding Islam and embracing the religion she loves so much. The day before, Aunti Reeni shared with us about her experience with Haaj, the journey to Mecca in Saudi Arabia, and how it helped her to rediscover herself and her happiness. I was really motivated by how connected these women are in the midst of a very Christian culture and that no matter what gets in the way they stay true to their beliefs. One interesting thing is that they suggested the Muslims were in the middle of apartheid. They were oppressed because of the color of their skin but their religion teaches that all people are equal and for that reason they felt that if they believed then they could continue living happy lives and that the challenges would get easier.   I learned that many people do not support affirmative action and that in some ways it is continuing the history of segregation in South Africa by giving people jobs based on their race. I wondered why I felt differently about this situation in South Africa than I did back home. What I realized is that I do not feel that affirmative action in South Africa encourages diversity the same way I expect it does in America. I feel that instead it’s an apology to those who are still suffering from the oppressive acts of this young history. The impacts of this affirmative action are prohibitive to many people; although blacks are able to get jobs and earn higher incomes the classified coloureds are unable to earn their own money because for every three blacks employed only one cloured person is given a job in the same field. I am constantly surprised at how deep the repercussions of apartheid years truly are. I also learned that even though so many people did not support apartheid, some people voted for the National Party in the first election because they felt that white people knew how to run the country best. This was partially because they felt that the African National Party's ideas were so radical that they were skeptical that it would work. I was thankful that I am taking a class on South African history and politics because I was able to actively participate in the conversation and ask questions. I learned a lot from this conversation and one thing that I was surprised about was that throughout  the conversation they kept saying things like "I'm not really racist, but…" and also "when we say "white" we're not referring to you". I was wondering if they were saying that because they were trying to justify everything that they were saying or if they felt uncomfortable. It reminded me that your opinions are valid no matter what they are and I was sad when they felt that they needed to make excuses for or justify what they were saying. Their history runs so deep that they cannot be faulted for their opinions because this is how people grew up. I don't necessarily agree with many people's views regarding race here but I definitely understand why they  said what they said. Her friend was quite the chatterbox, according to the husband, and because of that this was one of the most informative conversations I've had yet since being in Cape Town. I wouldn't say that the conversation was entirely factual but I was glad to learn about their opinions. The conversation was really lively and I was appreciative for the opportunity to listen and learn.


South Africa Monopoly!
On Saturday we just relaxed and enjoyed our time with our host family. At night, we played Monopoly. At first the board looked just like the one we were used to. We were shocked when we realized that it was actually the South African version. The "boardwalk" was "Clifton" which is right by the water in a wealthy area. Instead of railroads the board had airports. Also the board was in Afrikaans and English. It was a fun challenge to see how many places we could recognize. Look and see how many places you can recognize! I really liked playing a familiar game but it was also something that was really unfamiliar at the same time.  Near the end, Savitri was losing and nearing bankruptcy so Aunti Reeni started to give her discounts and charity. She said that if you have a lot you should always give charity and if you have a little you should give what you can. The game bounced between no mercy and playfulness until it was midnight and we went to bed. When we woke up we were rested and soon fed to our fill with roti (a traditional sort of fried dough/wrap) and fruit. Soon it was time to go and I was just thinking how amazing it was to have had this opportunity. Many people do not get the chance to see a different country and often when they do they live in comfortable, familiar environments. This was real and while I was enjoying my experience I kept just thinking how fortunate I am and while my situation in this homestay is temporary this is someone's life and I respect the townships way more after staying in one for even just a few days.

Just before we arrived in Ocean View a woman said to me "it's interesting that you Americans come all the way across the world to visit these townships and I've lived here my whole life and I won't cross over there even to go to the dentist".  While visiting Ocean View I learned the value of community. I started to see how many people extend their families to friends and neighbors and that true family in South Africa is really special. I realized how big of a role faith plays in many people lives and I learned that supporting each other and expecting nothing in return is so important in life. After this weekend, I feel like I want to go back to to the woman I met and say that yes I've seen violence and drug abuse and been looked at because I am white and it is a bit scary but I've seen happiness, support, motivation, encouragement, empowerment, religion, music, and love too and that's why I went "over there".

No comments:

Post a Comment