Monday, February 4, 2013

Have YOU had traditional African cuisine?


On Saturday morning I woke up to a stranger in my kitchen…

At first this was daunting but after a brief explanation it was all clear. Busi was preparing us a meal we would never forget! One of the best things about being here is meeting people. Admittedly, I haven't met as many people as I would like just yet but I am excited to continue to talk to people and ask questions as this experience continues. Busi is our neighbor's sister but she also has a catering business. After speaking with  her a few nights ago, she found out that we had never been served a traditional African meal and she was determined to show us what we were missing. We could have never anticipated what that might entail but I can't imagine any of us were disappointed in the results.

Braai fish! 
Early Saturday morning Busi started shopping and a few hours later she was ready to begin cooking. Every assortment of food was being prepared and we were all really curious. After a day in town our home smelled amazing but all the food was gone. Busi was cooking for her clients so I was really confused but I learned afterward that our meal would be prepared the next day. All along I thought that she was preparing a meal that would take two days. I was so impressed with her skills; while we flounder around the kitchen trying to cook the simplest of foods and turning knobs and wondering if things are working Busi was so comfortable and knew what to do. She was as familiar with this kitchen as her own at times and proved to be a real chef.

A hearty serving of butternut squash!
On Sunday, Busi was back at it! This time she was preparing our meal and while we got ready for our days off Busi was working hard. By the afternoon, when we returned home, fish was being cooked on the stove and everything was coming along. We were all so excited to try everything that smelled so great but first we were off to the Freshlyground, one of South Africa's most popular music groups, concert where we danced and  relaxed and enjoyed the Cape Town vibe. During the concert, we were all having so much fun and a woman was filling wine glasses for her friends and then she turned to me and filled mine too! Afterward, she handed me the bottle and told me to keep the rest and said "Welcome to Cape Town". It was a friendly reminder that this community extends so far and that small gesture meant a lot to me. The experience was amazing, peaceful and wholesome.We enjoyed the sounds of the beautifully diverse Freshlyground until the last sounds of the encore and headed home with anticipation of our meal.

Malleson Girls <3 (photo credit: Liz Sarant)
As with most things in Cape Town, we could have never expected what we would come home to. When we arrived, the table was full of food. The spread was amazing ranging from vegetarian dishes to meat that many of us had never even seen before. We had creamed spinach, butternut squash, vegetable curry, prawn curry, tripe, Ox feet, three types of fish, and pap which is a South African starch porridge type side dish. We were overwhelmed with the amount of food but also the variety and more than that we were appreciative beyond belief. I've spent a lot of time around the Christian faith during this journey and I felt like this would have been a time to pray. I have no idea why, but I was feeling thankful myself and I've just come to expect it. No prayers were given because we were all reaching and serving each other. Of course pictures were taken! 




Hey dinner, is that you?!
The food was amazing as expected. I cannot recall a time when my house of ten girls was ever so quiet since the day we arrived, including when everyone is sleeping. We were taking in each and every bite and could only speak to say how good something was, ask for more, or complain about how full we were. Since I could not try everything (Kosher problems) I was so anxious to see everyone reactions to the Ox feet in particular but also the tripe.  I was asking everyone about the taste and texture and I was so intrigued by the entire experience. My curiosity was boiling over. Although I was left in a "butternut coma" I was so pleased with the entire meal, especially what I could eat. I particularly enjoyed the braai fish that was served whole. I fell in love with this in Uganda it as I was delicately (but also messily) picking the fish off the bones I felt so happy. I was blissfully lost in new memories and old alike and I once again felt elated and luckier than anyone I know. I'm learning how easy it is to be impacted by small gestures and it's pretty exciting how much happiness you can feel from small things. It gives a whole new perspective to life when the sun and a smile in the morning can bring you to tears. Cape Town is changing me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment